At the Poetry Foundation and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Chicago
May 10-11, 2018
Held in conjunction with the international Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine, one of the highest value prizes for a single poem in the world, the symposium has attracted scholars from across the globe with broad interests in poetry, health humanities and in narrative medicine.
We are thrilled to highlight the following activities at this year’s symposium:
- A reading by poet Mark Doty at the Poetry Foundation on the evening of May 10th
- Four academic panels on May 11th, which will explore how poetry can influence the illness experience; how a body's physiology and a poem's language speak to each other; how poetry frames the witnessing of cultural differences and disparities; and how lyric form can disrupt and reconstitute our understanding and teaching of illness and health care (a light breakfast will be provided)
- A keynote conversation between Mark Doty and physician-poet Rafael Campo
- A lunchtime poster session (lunch will be provided)
- An award ceremony and reading of winning entries of the Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine on the afternoon of May 11th at the Poetry Foundation (will include a reception)
- A supplemental seminar on “Art, Poetry, and Medicine,” led by Joel Katz, MD, at the Museum of Contemporary Art on May 11th (additional fee required)
Registration is open! Spaces are limited.
→ REGISTER NOW ←
All events will be held within blocks of each other in downtown Chicago. The specific locations are:
Robert H. Lurie Medical Research Center - Baldwin Auditorium
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
303 East Superior Street
61 West Superior Street
Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
220 East Chicago Avenue
A limited number of rooms have been reserved at a discounted rate at the nearby Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile hotel. Reservations can be made using the link below or by calling the hotel directly (312-523-0902) and mentioning the "Northwestern Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities" group name. The deadline to reserve is Wednesday, April 18.
- Center for Bioethics & Medical Humanities, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry & Medicine
- The Poetry Foundation
- Harvard Medical School
Northwestern attendees: this event can also be viewed and shared on PlanIt Purple.
For more information
Please contact Myria Knox
Mercury astride Pegasus, Paris 2013 – Creative Commons