Read the latest news from the Education in Palliative and End-of-life Care Program. The links below take you to articles about palliative care and news on the achievements of our faculty and leadership, as well as announcements about upcoming training.
- EPEC-Pediatrics Held Conference04.18.2018EPEC-Pediatrics held a Become an EPEC-Pediatrics Trainer conference and Professional Development Workshop (PDW) in Minneapolis, Minnesota. More than 40 people from the US and several other countries attended the Become a Trainer conference and 18 attended the PDW.
- Dr. Tammie Quest Named Visionary in Hospice and Palliative Medicine02.20.2018
EPEC-EM Director Tammie E. Quest was named an AAHPM Visionary in Hospice and Palliative Medicine. For its 30th anniversary in 2018, AAHPM sought to recognize 30 more individuals who had made impactful contributions. Nearly 150 individuals were nominated and more than 6,500 votes were cast.
Many common themes emerged in praise of the nominees - mentor, leader, big thinker. They were cited for their innovation, meaningful contributions, extraordinary vision and inspirational leadership. Among the 30 were early pioneers and trailblzers, as well as young innovators representing the new generation of Visionaries taking the profession into the future.
- EPEC-Surgery: Coleman Funding01.25.2018EPEC received funding from the Coleman Foundation to begin to develop EPEC-Surgery, a curriculum on palliative care for surgeons. Co-led by Dr. Pringl Miller and Dr. Joshua Hauser, this project will create four modules of topics in surgical palliative care in the project’s first year. In year 2 of the project, we will teach the curriculum at several Chicago-area hospitals.
- EPEC-Pediatrics India04.25.2017In collaboration with the annual meeting of Indian Association of Palliative Care (IAPCON;http://palliativecare.in/), EPEC-Pediatrics recently held a training in Coimbatore, India. Facilitators Stacey Remke, Jody Chrastek, Leanne Pederson, Karen Bycroft, Naveen Salins, MaryAnne Muckaden and Joshua Hauser taught a group of 55 physicians, nurses, social workers and pharmacists from India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Egypt and Kuwait.
- Sept 8-10: The Annual EPEC Trainer Conferences and Professional Development Workshop06.01.2016Our EPEC Annual Meeting will be held September 8-10 at the Omni Chicago Hotel and will include three events: our 'Become an EPEC Trainer' and 'Become an EPEC-Emergency Medicine Trainer' conferences, as well as our Professional Development Workshop. More information can be found on our Conferences page.
- EPEC in Thailand05.01.2016As part of a national effort to augment training in palliative care in Thailand, Mike Preodor and Joshua Hauser recently taught two Become an EPEC Trainer conferences in Bangkok and Khon Kaen, Thailand. Co-sponsored by the Thai Palliative Care Society, approximately 50 physicians, nurses and other health care professionals attended with a goal of modifying several EPEC modules for use in medical student and residency training.